When it comes to eating harmful foods, cats are usually more sensible than dogs, but there are still several things you should make sure your kitty will never get to eat. Cats have their own digestive system that is very different from ours, which is why foods that are absolutely safe for you might be actually very dangerous or even deadly for your cat. Therefore, it is important to know what foods should never be fed (whether intentionally or unintentionally) to cats. From raw eggs and grapes to bones and livers, here are 25 Foods That Are Harmful For Your Kitty.
Feature Image: Mathias Erhart via Flickr
No matter how much you love onion, this popular vegetable can be very harmful for your cat. All onions — whether cooked or raw — are a big danger to cats as it takes a very small amount of onions to poison them. Onion toxicosis is consistently noted in animals that ingest more than just 0.5% of their body weight in onions at one time. Onion contains sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
A herbaceous perennial plant, rhubarb has delicious juicy stalks that are used in culinary, but its leaves are poisonous. They contain oxalic acids and corrosive acids that can negatively affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems of your cat.
Cats appear to be more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people. While 1-2 laps of coffee will not contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most pets, the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds can easily cause death in small cats. When ingested, signs of hyperactivity, vomiting, an elevated heart rate, hypertension, tremors, hyperthermia, seizures, and other difficulties can occur.
Cats should not be fed human vitamin supplements, particularly those that contain iron as it can damage the lining of their digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
The odds are quite low that your cat will polish off a piece of chewing gum, but if it does, it is likely to end up in a serious trouble. Sugarless gums are actually one of the most dangerous foods for cats and dogs as they contain a natural sweetener, xylitol, that is deadly to most animals. It causes a rush of insulin, blood sugar levels to plummet, possible coma, and even death.