25 Things You Need To Know About Cholesterol

If you are one of those people who sees cholesterol as a bad substance that resides in fatty food and can cause serious health problems then this post is for you. This organic molecule is much more complex and interesting than we give it credit (and we should give it more credit). From the chemical point of view, cholesterol is a modified steroid – a lipid molecule that is biosynthesized by all animal cells because it is an essential structural component of all animal (but not plant or bacterial) cell membranes and is required to maintain both membrane structural integrity and fluidity. Cholesterol enables the cells to dispense with a cell wall to protect membrane integrity and cell viability, thus allowing them to change shape and move about. In other words, cholesterol – in a certain amount – is absolutely essential for our survival, which is why we think this bizarre molecule deserves our attention. Therefore, we decided to dedicate today´s post to cholesterol. If you want to know what exactly your body needs cholesterol for, how to reduce high cholesterol or what the cholesterol level of an average person is, check out these 25 Things You Need To Know About Cholesterol.


As cholesterol cannot dissolve in blood, it must be transported through your blood by carriers called lipoproteins. There are two types of them: low-density lipoprotein (LDL) known as “bad cholesterol” and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) known as “good cholesterol”.

cholesterolSource: www.heart.org, image: en.wikipedia.org

LDL cholesterol is considered “bad” because it contributes to plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can clog arteries and make them less flexible. HDL cholesterol is considered “good” as it helps remove LDL cholesterol from the arteries to the liver where it is broken down and passed from the body.

clogged arterySource: www.heart.org, image: en.wikipedia.org


Cholesterol itself is very important for us, performing crucial functions in our bodies. It aids in tissue and hormone formation, protects your nerves and helps with digestion. In fact, cholesterol helps form the structure of every cell in your body.

digestionSource: www.webmd.com, image: youtube.com

Contrary to what most people believe, not all cholesterol in the body comes from the food that we eat. In fact, most of it (about 75%) is naturally produced by our bodies, particularly the liver. The remaining 25% of your cholesterol comes from your diet.

Man eatingSource: www.naturalbodyhealing.com, image: commons.wikimedia.org


For some families, having high levels of bad cholesterol may be inevitable because of a condition called familial hypercholesterolemia. The disease affects about 1 in 500 people and can cause heart attacks even very early in life.

heart attackSource: edition.cnn.com, image: en.wikipedia.org

SEE ALSO: 25 Most Visited Countries In The World »

NOW WATCH: 25 Amazing Facts You Didn't Know About Animals

Subscribe to List25

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote
25 Things You Might Not Know About Mexican Food

25 Things You Might Not Know About Mexican Food

25 Interesting Tidbits You Might Not Know About Movies

25 Interesting Tidbits You Might Not Know About Movies